Monday, February 16, 2009

2/15 Outdoor run - Shenipsit State Forest

This weekend we did a little traveling so I have taken the workout, for Saturday anyways on the road to Somers CT. This is an area I frequently visit and decided to try a trail run at Shenipsit State Forest http://www.nochildleftinside.org/parks/shenipsit07.php. I have been riding and running here for many years and have a few loops that take about an hour.
Today I found that the trails were very icy at the bottom of the mountain and gradually changed to hard packed show the further I moved up the hill and off the main hiking trails. All I packed were my running shoes so it made my decision easy as to what to wear. The running was slow for the most part and I had to concentrate on watching 5 feet in front of me and where each foot was landing. As a result I found on two occasions I found myself off track. However, unlike the other day I didn’t try to just “find my way” and I doubled back to figure out where I was. This proved to me that I was a little further off from where I expected I was and a much better choice. After recovering and completing the loop ended up being out for about 1:15. Overall a good workout and great to be out.
Soon I will try and write a little about winter running footwear.

No comments: